Bill Whelan Scholarship
Dave Flynn & the Irish Memory Orchestra are delighted to announce renowned composer, producer and arranger Bill Whelan has joined our Orchestra Circle.
With his generous support we have created a Bill Whelan Scholarship for our 2017 Apprentice Scheme.
Four Bill Whelan Scholarships are on offer to outstanding musicians who complete our 2017 Apprentice Scheme.
Winners of the Scholarship will receive the following benefits;
1.) Apprenticeship Scheme fees paid in full (Value of €250)**
2.) Two free tickets to an Irish Memory Orchestra performance of the Memory Symphony
3.) A certificate acknowledging their achievement as a Bill Whelan Scholar
4.) One scholarship winner will be named Apprentice of the Year. They will be given a professional performance opportunity with the Irish Memory Orchestra in 2018, receiving the same fee and expenses as core orchestra members
5.) All Bill Whelan Scholarship winners will be considered for the position of Deputy member of the Irish Memory Orchestra. This may lead to future professional performances
How to Win the Scholarship
To be in with a chance of winning a Bill Whelan Scholarship please follow these guidelines
1. Read more about the Apprentice Scheme here
2. Apply and audition for the Scheme by submitting the best possible audition video you can
3. Complete the audition process with a high level of musicianship to be selected as an Apprentice
4. Take full part in the Apprentice Scheme and perform to the best of your ability
5. Impress your section leader with your skill, attitude and dedication
6. Reach the very high standard set by previous apprentices who became core and deputy members
The four scholarship winners will be selected through a voting process as follows;
1. Each section leader will nominate one apprentice from their section to go forward to the final selection process
2. An expert panel of 3 core orchestra members will decide who the scholarship winners are
3. Winners will be announced during the final concert of the 2017 Apprentice Scheme and presented with their awards
* Scholarships will be awarded based on the above criteria. In the unlikely event of there being any unawarded scholarships these will be brought forward to our next Apprentice Scheme.
** All apprentices need to pay the scheme fee before taking part, scholarship winners will be refunded this fee as part of their award.